Monday, July 14, 2014

Missionary Monday: Sister Nicholas Serving In Rostov Russia

Here is a recent letter from Sister Nicholas:

Yesterday (June 22) was a crazy day at church. We had about 10 non-members there, which made up about a third of our congregation! Maybe a fourth. Didn’t count. We planned on having 5 lessons before and after church, we were even gonna do splits with members, but it didn’t work out quite like we planned. When does it ever work out like we plan though? The second hour we did young women’s with our new adopted 12 year old and invited two 20-something non-members to join us too. I was leading the lesson and it was, again, nothing like I had planned. We’re using the new come follow me curriculum and there are lots of great short videos that go with the lessons. I had picked a video of Elder Holland explaining who Christ is with videos of Christ’s life, but when we got to the lesson I accidentally played the wrong video. It turned out to be the video of the atonement, which is a bit gruesome (someone’s ear gets chopped off), and I absolutely had not prepped the class for it. Kinda weird to just sit down at a new church and watch a video of someone suffering and dying. I felt pretty stupid, but we watched it anyway and had a good talk about the atonement and watched another short video about how we can forgive people because of the atonement. Craziness. I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as I thought, but I thought for sure that was the end of those investigators. We called one of the girls later and she said she liked it a lot and was really interested in meeting again so maybe that video was just what she needed?

This week was a heavy week for me. Our investigator pool is growing and we just had a baptism and have one coming up on July 6, but even so I feel discouraged from time to time. Just goes to show that numbers don’t matter! I’m learning that if I don’t take care of myself spiritually, I won’t be prepared for the challenges of the day. In my personal study I’ve been spending most of my time learning how to teach the lessons (which is great and necessary) but very little time finding answers to my own questions and strengthening my own spiritual reserves. Today I read Romans 8 and 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

and it really helped me refocus and feel peace about what I’m doing as a missionary. I love the idea that weaknesses give us an opportunity to better understand Christ and for his grace to work in our lives. It’s super hard for me to own up to my weaknesses because I’m prideful, but I’m trying to be humble so that I can feel Christ’s help more in my own life. Sometimes I forget when I pray for strength that I have to work for it. Learning to be spiritually/emotionally/mentally strong is basically the same as becoming physically strong; you don’t get stronger by lifting a tiny weight over and over again! Gotta add on the weights and then drink some nasty muscle milk and be sore for a while!


 

The important thing this week is that Olga was baptized! As the day approached, we realized that Saturday mornings at the beach in Sochi are crawling with people…and that can be kinda awkward for a baptism. Sister McGhie told me that at another baptism a man literally chased the Elders around because they were wearing their white baptismal clothes and it drew a lot of attention. So the whole week we prayed that the weather would be good but not too good. I put in an order for clouds and a bit of rain in the morning but then clear skies by 11. The morning of the baptism came and it was raining pretty hard. We were nervous that it would keep raining and she wouldn’t want to be baptized. The weather really affects old ladies here and they don’t leave their houses when it rains if they can help it. But we prayed and prayed and prayed that it would stop raining in time for the baptism and it cleared up by about 10!
What we didn’t know is that the sea gets pretty tumultuous when it storms, and the waves were “gnarly” for an 83 year old (in the words of Elder Goodwin). We decided to have two elders go out with her.  The waves were coming in too fast to get her past where they break and I irreverently kept yelling at them “JUST PICK HER UP!!!” It wasn’t one of my finer moments, but they weren’t making any progess. They picked her up and got her out farther but had to baptize her twice because it was still rough and hard to get her completely immersed.
 

 
 
Sister Nicholas
 
Sister Nicholas is serving from the  Westridge Ward. For more information about her mission, you can visit her blog HERE.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment